The importance of Colleges of Education in Nigeria cannot be overemphasized. A college of education is an institution that provides professional training for teachers through various technical and theoretical training programs.
Lagos, the bustling metropolis of Nigeria, is home to several esteemed institutions of higher learning that contribute significantly to the region’s educational landscape.
In this blog post, we will take a closer look at the top 8 colleges of education in Lagos. We will also highlight their admission requirements, program offerings, and commitment to preparing students for successful careers in today’s competitive job market. So, let’s get started!
College of Education in Lagos
- Federal College of Education (Technical) Akoka
- Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education
- Corona College of Education
- Ansar-Ud-Deen College of Education
- Micheal Otedola College of Primary Education
- St Augustine College of Education
- Raphat College of Education
- Meadow Hall College of Education
8 Best Colleges of Education in Lagos
1. Federal College of Education (Technical) Akoka
Federal College of Education (FCE) Akoka is among the top colleges of education in Lagos State, offering a comprehensive program in theoretical knowledge and practical skills training, ensuring that graduates are equipped to meet market demands.
Established as the first Technical Teacher Education institution in Nigeria, FCE Akoka has a rich history of producing highly competent graduate teachers of Science, Technical, and Vocational education and training.
With a fully equipped administrative block, classrooms, and Lecture Theatre, as well as workshop facilities for over six technical programs, FCE Akoka is committed to providing its students with a conducive learning environment.
Additionally, six halls of residence are available for students’ accommodation.
Location: Federal College of Education Akoka, Yaba 100001, Lagos
- Candidates must have at least 5 passes at Credit level in O/Level WASCE, SSCE, NECO/GCE including English Language and Mathematics in one sitting or at least 6 Credit passes in not more than 2 sittings.
- Candidates are required to have passed in relevant UTME subject(s)
2. Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education
In Oto-Awori, Lagos, Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education is renowned for its various education programs.
With various disciplines, including engineering, health sciences, business, and skilled trades, AOCOED prepares students for careers after graduation.
The institution is committed to developing students into exceptional teachers who are capable of using their skills and expertise to improve society.
Location: Oto-Awori, Ojo, Lagos State
- Submit online application form
- Candidates must have a minimum of five (5) credit passes in relevant subjects at O’Level (WASSCE, NECO, GCE, or equivalent).
- Candidates must meet the required cut-off points for UTME which is 140 and above.
- Candidates must have a good personal statement and letters of recommendation.
3. Corona College of Education
Corona College of Education was established by Corona Schools in 2014 with a focus on providing exceptional teacher certification programs.
The college places a strong emphasis on hands-on learning, offering students access to workshops and facilities, as well as opportunities for teaching practice in primary or secondary schools.
Unlike many Nigerian tertiary institutions, Corona College is not affected by strikes or unnecessary delays, ensuring a smooth and uninterrupted learning experience for its students.
Location: 25, Association Avenue, off Obanikoro Bus stop, Ilupeju, Lagos
- Candidate must pass four subjects which must be at credit level in the same sitting or at two sittings in WAEC/NECO Senior School Certificate (SSC), General Certificate of Education Ordinary Level (GCE O’Level), or their equivalents.
- Two of the credits from the exam must be relevant to the course the candidate wishes to offer.
- Candidate must get at least a credit in English and Mathematics
4. Ansar-Ud-Deen College of Education
Ansar-Ud-Deen College of Education is dedicated to providing world-class education that focuses on social-emotional development, as well as early literacy and numeracy.
The College equips students with the knowledge and skills needed to transform themselves, others, and the educational sector.
Graduates of this esteemed institution are confident and creative thinkers committed to delivering the best education that is truly relevant to the future of younger generations.
Location: 6 Karimu St, Isolo 100010, Lagos
- Candidates must have at least five passes at two sittings of four passes in one sitting in the SSCE(WAEC/NECO/NABTEB). English and Mathematics are compulsory, and the other subjects must be relevant to the course they choose to study.
- Candidates need a Grade II Teacher’s certificate with credits or merits in four subjects.
- Candidates will be required to submit recent passport photographs.
- Candidates must score at least 150 in their UTME.
5. Micheal Otedola College of Primary Education
Micheal Otedola College of Primary Education is committed to creating a nurturing and encouraging atmosphere for prospective teachers to develop and flourish.
The institution offers the National Certificate in Education Program and is affiliated with the renowned University of Ibadan’s Degree program in Education, ensuring that your degree is recognized by a prestigious institution.
Situated in Noforija, Epe, Lagos, Micheal Otedola College has been devoted to training and producing highly competent educators with a dedication to excellence in primary and basic education for several years.
Location: Km 7 Epe Ijebu Ode Road, Noforija 106101, Epe, Lagos
- Candidates must have at least 5 credit passes in their O’level exam which ideally must include Mathematics and English Language plus any other 3 relevant subjects.
- Candidates must meet the minimum age requirements for the department they want to study. The general age requirement for Micheal Otedola College of Primary Education is 16 years.
- Candidates must meet UTME requirements to be eligible for admission.
6. St Augustine College of Education
St Augustine College of Education is dedicated to providing top-notch programs and certifications that equip students with the necessary knowledge to help children and young people excel academically.
As an affiliate College of Education to the esteemed University of Ibadan, the degree program certifications are recognized across a wide range of industries
St Augustine’s campus is situated at No. 2 Moronfolu Street, Akoka, Lagos where they offer a variety of programs such as Pre-degree, Pre-NCE, Diploma in Catechetical Studies, Degree Programmes, Master of Education, and more, to cater to the academic needs of their students.
Location: 2 Moronfolu St, Akoka 100213, Lagos
- Candidates will need at least (5) Credits at One Sitting or Six (6) Credits at Two sittings in SSCE, GCE, or NECO.
7. Raphat College of Education
Raphat College of Education in Obaagun, Lagos offers a top-notch learning environment for students to engage in professional development activities that significantly improve their teaching skills.
The institution is dedicated to providing a well-structured program that prepares students for successful careers in education.
Their NCE certification also ensures that students meet the employment standards required in the education sector.
Location: Km 2, Iree Expressway, Igbota Area Ifelodun, 231108, Obaagun
- Applicants must have completed his/her O’level program before application.
- Applicants must have 5 credits pass in their O’level result including English language and Mathematics in not more than two sittings.
- Applicants with WAEC, NECO, NABTEB, and GCE results and their equivalents can apply.
- Applicants with awaiting results can also apply.
8. Meadow Hall College of Education
Meadow Hall College of Education is a private institution in Lekki, Lagos that provides exceptional education programs tailored to equip students with the necessary skills to excel in the education sector, both locally and internationally.
Upon graduation, students are equipped with a well-rounded education that enables them to thrive in any industry they choose.
Location: Alma Beach Estate, Meadow Hallway, Lekki Peninsula II 106104, Lekki, Lagos
- Candidates who possess a Higher National Diploma (HND), First Degree (B.A/B.Sc), Master (M.A/M.Sc), or Doctorate degree (Ph.D.) are eligible to apply to Meadow Hall College of Education
Colleges of Education offer various programs covering areas such as education, business, health sciences, and entrepreneurship.
Visit the links we provided to find programs that align with your interests and career goals across various disciplines.