Are you looking for the best university in Lagos to attend? Lagos is one of Nigeria’s biggest business hubs, attracting a lot of companies to its lands. This makes it a hot study destination for Nigerian students hoping for quick employment after their studies. However, with many options available it’s hard to know which university is one of the best in Lagos. That is what this article on 7 Best University In Lagos will rectify.
A lot of Nigerian students search for schools across Nigeria to apply to, but not many of them look into universities in Lagos because they believe that studying in Lagos is not a good enough option for studying abroad.
However, there are high-ranking universities in Lagos that guarantee top-quality education for local and visiting students. These universities are assessed on the basis of accreditation, licensing, curriculum, successful alumni, on-campus courses, infrastructure, and academic facilities.
Based on these factors, the list of universities in Lagos we mentioned in our article, should convince you about studying at a top school in the ‘centre of excellence’.
Why Study In Lagos?
As a student searching for the best schools to attend in Lagos, it is imperative that you understand the benefits of studying in this city.
Below are 7 reasons why you should study in Lagos.
1. Affordable Fees
While the school fees for more professional degrees, like medicine, MBA or law, will be higher, Lagos universities have relatively low tuition fees that match the average amount in other states in Nigeria.
2. Quality Education
Quality education is one of the most important reasons why indigenes and visitors intending to study here should consider. This city has lots of high-ranking institutions that are at the forefront of a standard education system.
3. Work Experience
Lagos, being one of Nigeria’s largest cities with hundreds of people is an ideal place to get an internship or job during and after studies. This is because the city has as many companies and businesses as it has people.
4. Low Cost Of Living
A lot of areas in this city are less expensive to live in for students. However, higher-end areas like Victoria Island, Ikoyi, and Lekki are more expensive than other smaller locations. But, generally, Lagos has a relatively low cost of living that can fit any budget.
5. Experience And Learning A New Language
While the most commonly used language in schools and other places in Lagos is English, studying here will provide you the opportunity to learn Yoruba which is the local dialect.
This of course will matter to you if you are from any of the other 250+ groups in Nigeria. Mastering Yoruba will make it easier for you to interact with the locals and live here.
6. Cultural Diversity
Lagos may be part of Nigeria, but it is its own country in every sense. For starters, half of Nigeria’s culture can be found here and all of them represent in their different ways.
When you study here, you have a higher chance of meeting someone from another culture than you would in any other part of the country.
Table Showing The Best Universities In Lagos And Their Locations
|University Of Lagos||Akoka, Yaba|
|Lagos State University||Ojo|
|Anchor University||Ayoba, Ipaja|
|Pan Atlantic University||Lekki|
7 Best University In Lagos
In this section, we have covered the 7 best universities in Lagos, listed and organized based on international recognition, curriculum, academic excellence, being chartered, and accreditation.
1. University Of Lagos
The University Of Lagos is a federal university in Lagos known as the “The University of First Choice” and the ” Nation’s Pride”. It is a leading institution committed to quality teaching, learning, research, and community service.
Over the years, UNILAG has trained leaders in numerous disciplines through its various programs.
- Full-time admission to undergraduate programs is only through UTME and Direct Entry (DE).
- Candidates must score five credits in O’Level or equivalent as requested by the Department of Interest.
- Applicants must score a minimum of 200 points in Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and their details must be sent to UNILAG by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
- Candidates must take the University POST-UTME Exam and get the required minimum score.
- Students must be 16 years by the 31st day of October in the admission year.
2. Lagos State University
Lagos State University is the best university in Lagos. Since its establishment in 1983, it has been unrelenting in its vision to pursue learning advancement and academic excellence.
LASU seeks to become a citadel of learning, a community recognized for excellence in teaching, research, and service to humanity, a catalyst, and an agent of development.
- Meet the O’Level and JAMB requirements of the specific course you are applying to.
3. Caleb University
Caleb University is an institution for learning teaching, learning, and research, it is one of the private universities in Lagos, consistently ranked on the list of the top 10 most sought-after private universities in Nigeria.
CUL courts innovation and steadily turns ideas into action. From 2007 till now it has impacted people with curiosity, drive, passion, and empathy to positively influence their environment, and compete globally as well.
- Fill out the registration form provided by Caleb University.
4. Anchor University
Anchor University doesn’t just cater to academic learning and excellence but to character development and the curbing of moral degradation and delinquency.
The philosophy of anchor university logos is that the light of knowledge illuminates the mind, liberates, and upgrades human qualities, faculties, and professional skills resulting in a clear impact on every area of human endeavor.
- Completed Secondary Education.
- Score a minimum of 16o in the UTME
- 5 credit passes in related subjects in WAEC, NECO, IGSCE, and NABTEB, with mathematics being compulsory.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee of ₦20,000.
5. Pan Atlantic University
Pan Atlantic University is renowned locally and internationally as a school that offers world-class education. Its curriculum is created in close collaboration with industry leaders and professional bodies.
The pan atlantic university Lagos has its professional courses completely different from arts, physical or social sciences courses.
- Students who chose PAU as their first choice in the 2023/2024 UTME Application form.
- Candidates who didn’t choose PAU as their first choice can apply.
- JAMB score of 220 and higher in the 2023/2024 UTME Examination.
- Application fees of ₦1,500.00 are to be paid after filling out the online application form.
6. Augustine University
Augustine University is one of the top universities in Lagos that intends to facilitate student learning through High Quality, Career-oriented Education, Integrating Personal Development, Technology, Business, and Management.
The University delivers practitioner-specific programmes undergraduate and postgraduate courses to cater to its diverse student demographics.
- Fill out the admission form on Augustine’s website.
7. Babcock University
Babcock University is the best private university in Lagos and Africa. Recently its programs were expanded to meet current market demands and maximum service delivery which lead to upgrades in departments and adding of new courses.
New additions to Babcock include Music & Creative and Educational Foundations departments to the School of Education & Humanities.
- First Degree programs require 5 credits at the GCE/SSCE/NECO Examinations or equivalent in not more than 2 sittings.
- Take the JAMB exam for the 100 level or apply for JAMB Direct Entry admissions.
- Transfer Admissions candidates should present a JAMB Admission letter, Transcript, and Attestation Letter from the past University.
- Meet the minimum JAM Cut off for Babcock 2022/2023 Academic Session which is 170.
The list of best universities in Lagos is what you will need to aid your search for the best schools in the city. Read through the article carefully to find which school suits your preference and visit the individual website of each one for more information.